The Presbyterian Health, Education and Welfare Association (PHEWA) is seeking nominations for five ministry awards that will be celebrated during the 221st General Assembly in Detroit in June of this year.
PHEWA, part of the Compassion, Peace & Justice Ministry of the Presbyterian Mission Agency, is a voluntary membership organization dedicated to social welfare and justice ministries. Ten networks are currently part of PHEWA, organized for grassroots implementation of General Assembly policies in the areas of community ministries and faith-based community organizing, domestic violence, HIV and AIDS, reproductive options, specialized pastoral ministries, child advocacy, disabilities, health and wholeness, criminal justice, and serious mental illness.
“We ask you to call to our attention the remarkable work being done across the denomination with those that often find themselves marginalized or forgotten,” says PHEWA Executive Director Trina Zelle. “These awards recognize and celebrate those ministries and, by doing so, help to remind of us of God’s call to love kindness and to do justice, as we walk humbly with God.”
Nominations are being sought for:
- The Community Transformation Award, presented by PHEWA’s Presbyterian Association for Community Transformation (PACT) to PC(USA) congregations that, either through ecumenical or interfaith community ministry, or through a special project of the congregation, have been faithful, creative and effective in their ministry to and with the community.
- The Nancy Jennings Award, presented by PHEWA’s Presbyterians for Disabilities Concerns (PDC), to persons, congregations, or PC(USA) entities that are exemplary in their affirmation, support, and advocacy for the gifts, rights, and responsibilities of persons with disabilities in the total life of the church.
- The Florence Iversen Kraft Award, presented by PHEWA’s Presbyterian Serious Mental Illness Network (PSMIN), to PC(USA) congregations that have demonstrated outstanding leadership in their ministry with those who have a serious mental illness and with their families.
- The Faith In Action Award, presented by PHEWA’s Presbyterian AIDS Network (PAN), to PC(USA congregations that, through prayerful action and through their ministry, walk alongside sisters and brothers who are infected or affected by HIV and AIDS, initiating or supporting activities within the U.S. in meaningful and lasting ways. Ministries of those nominated “should result in increased sensitization to the issue and demonstrated impact on those affected. The recipient congregation of will be one that shows God’s unconditional love for all people by striving to break down the walls of stigma and discrimination around HIV/AIDS.”
- The Breaking The Silence Award, presented by PHEWA’s Presbyterians Against Domestic Violence Network (PADVN), to PC(USA) congregations or individuals from that congregation who continue to demonstrate a commitment to eliminating domestic violence, through education, advocacy, and other intervention efforts.
Deadline for 2014 awards nominations is March 31, 2014. Nominations should include :
Name of person or congregation being nominated
- Contact person for the nomination with addresses, phone numbers, email addresses for both, and
- A two page description of the ministry, including why they are deserving of this recognition.
Electronic submissions are preferred. Submit them to Susan Stack at email@example.com. Submissions by mail will also be considered. Send those to Susan Stack, PHEWA, 100 Witherspoon St., Rm. 3228, Louisville, KY 40202-1396.
For more information, contact Susan Stack by email or by phone at 800-728-7228; or Trina Zelle by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 480-298-1524.